Monday, July 15, 2013

Weekend Update with Jessica Brazell

(Not with Seth Meyers!)


We lost internet over the weekend, so I am here to update everyone on my running progress over the weekend!

Thursday:

On Thursday, I did what the guide told me to do: cross training.  What is cross training? you might ask.  Cross training is whatever physically activity you do besides running.  This can be yoga, cycling, swimming, walking, etc.  You pick it, it's cross training.  For my cross-training on Thursday, I chose to do some of the weight machines in the gym followed by some agilities in the aerobics room.  This is what it looked like:

Lower back machines (2) - 20 reps
Arm-focused machines (5) - 20 reps

In a 30-yard Distance
Butt kicks
Knee Highs
Jumpers
Frogs
Lunges

After Thursday's workout... I couldn't feel my legs...

Friday

Rest day
And my legs were killer, so I don't know what I would have done.

Saturday

I was told to run 2.5 miles.  Here's how I did it:

I ran half a mile around Ben Lippen's track.  Frank and I used a drum stick as a baton and we ran each ran 2 2x400's around the track in a relay.  We ran outside because we both need to get our lungs conditioned to being outside!

We went inside after that - that's all we planned to do outside.

While inside, I walked for a quarter mile (which doesn't count towards my 2.5 miles for the day) to loosen my legs up.  I'm telling you, it was funny watching me try to walk down the stairs!!!  After I felt a little more comfortable in my legs...

I ran at varying speeds for 2 miles!!!

I ran varying between 4.5 speed and 6.0 speed :) Hooray!
After I ran for so long, I stretched and by the next day, my muscles didn't hurt anymore!  Just so you know: when you have bad muscle pains from working out, you don't need to "take a break to let your muscles heal" - that just starts the whole process over, and slows the overall process down.  When your muscles hurt because of exercising muscles that haven't been worked well in a while, you simply need to push through the next work out session so that your muscles can get used to be used in new ways!  Just be sure to intake plenty of protein and water after each workout and your muscles will recover more quickly!

Sunday

Today was also a rest day.  I'm glad I took this rest day because the tendons around the inside part of my right knee were tinging a little bit... I had regular tendinitis in my knees in high school, so I'm going to assume for now that a little bit of tendinitis is all I'm experiencing.  I know, though, once I start feeling more pain than I'm used to, I should consider seeing a doctor ;) no worries.  

Monday

Because I forgot my work out bag at home today,  Frank and I are about to go out and run together!  Today I will be running for 20 minutes! Wish me luck! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love?