Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Actually, Interior Decorating

    You know how a few weeks ago I mentioned that I could do Real Estate as a fun side job (if I had the time and money to go to school for it)?  Well I've been watching more shows like Renovation Raiders, Brother vs. Brother, HGTV Star, and especially Design on a Dime lately, and I've been realizing that I have more of an interest in interior decorating (or even interior design) than I do in real estate.
    I love organization, and with that I like to be crafty and creative.  I like making things look the way they are supposed to; if they are supposed to look home-y, I want to make it look that way.  If it's supposed to look like an oasis of relaxation, I want to make it look that way.  I don't mind simple, but if simple means blah, dull, and boring, then I go for more.  We've been married for almost 7 months now and do you know how many times I have rearranged the living to make it feel even more homey?  Four times.  In seven months.  And that number would have been higher had it not been for school and work!

    I like to think that I have a good grasp on matching colors and patterns and I know how to bring balance of those things into a room.  I was looking up some ways to become an interior decorator (since I don't want to have to go to school for interior design) and I found a few interesting things:

-  I don't need a degree, but any certification or any classes could give me some sort of accreditation.
-  Practice everywhere - my house, your house, a friend's house, Habitat for Humanity projects, etc.
-  Keep a portfolio of every project I complete, a hard copy and display them online.
-  Get involved in a job that allows for design or visual merchandising.
-  Keep tabs on great places to buy materials; without a license I can't get discounts so I'll have to be frugal!

    I like creating spaces for people that I know they will enjoy using things they already have - I like giving each piece of furniture a new responsibility in the look of the room they are in.  I think even more than that, I LOVE organizing things (I even liked that on Facebook).  Making a room feel more productive on its own is always such a nice feeling for me!  I really think that this is a more logical and plausible side job/hobby that I could do for a small income.  Obviously, just starting out I wouldn't charge anything, but as I get more experience maybe I will be able to put a small price on my work :)  Since I'm not licensed I can't charge the crap out of people who might ask for my help - that's a good thing for everyone, I would hate to be the bad guy.  Maybe someday beyond that, I can do what the chica does on Design on a Dime and ask the customer for a budget they can spend and get new finer-ups for their space!

    In the meantime, I need to start my practice!  School is about to start, but maybe I can take on one or two projects... So if anyone needs decorating advice, or would like me to help them pick out colors, or organize, or anything like that - please let me know!  I would love to help and to get the ball rolling for a little hobby I think I will always have :)

Some examples of what they've done on Design on a Dime:


Of course, my stuff won't immediately look like this, but I've got Sabrina Soto and the hosts from Design on a Dime to look to for inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love?