Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Whistle While You Work

Whistle while you work... do-do-do-do-do-do-doooo...
  One of the shifts I work at night allows us to listen to music on a boombox or through iHome speakers (or anything that loud music can come out of).  For the past two weeks that my friend and I have worked together on this shift, we have completely forgotten about this rare right!  Well I decided that I would burn a CD, maybe two, with music that both of us like so that we can pop it in the disc player each night.  She asked me what kind of music I listened to... and I wasn't exactly sure how to explain!  I don't listen to weird or bad music, just not music people know or would consider listening to at first hear!  I told her to send me  a list of songs she really likes so that I could comprise these discs.  And these are a few of the tracks, videos possibly included, which I have selected to jam out to while preparing people's pasta:

1.  Heartlines by Florence + the Machine

2. Cameras by Matt & Kim

3.  Cheap and Cheerful by The Kills

4.  Not Your Fault by AWOLNATION

5.  Fuckarias by Those Dancing Days pronounced, "fook-are-EYE-us" (Swedish for "a nag" basically) (Go Sweden!  Don't worry, they sing in English.)



6.  The Difference Between Us by The Dead Weather
 
7.  Tigerlily by La Roux
   
8.  Lonely Boy by The Black Keys
I aspire to dance like this man!
   
9.  Mercy by Duffy
   
10.  Rearrange by Miles Kane (or "Come Closer" - it's a close tie)
     
     
So obviously, the music I listen to - just by this small sample - may or may not have ever been heard before by most people who actually listened.  There's more where that came from!  But these are only 10 of the 30 tracks I have chosen to go through to decide which would be best and fast-paced to work to.  Honestly, I chose some of these songs because I figure more people than none have heard at least a few of them - these are the most culturally popular songs in my music library other than Justin Beiber.

As far as type of music I listen to?  I think most of my personal library is blues rock.  Folk music and 'indie' would come in second place.  Everything else follows.  Here's a list of possible genres in my library and a few artists to check out that go with each:


  1. Blues Rock: The Black Keys, The Dead Weather, The Raconteurs, Dan Auerbach, Dr. John, Miles Kane, Rival Sons, Dr. Dog, The White Stripes (not really, they just say they are.)
  2. Folk music: Fleet Foxes, John Denver, First Aid Kit, Lindi Ortega, The Tallest Man On Earth, The Last Bison, Loch Lomond, Matrimony
  3. Indie music: The Kills, The Lighthouse and the Whaler, Tilly and The Wall, Ingrid Michaelson, Imagine Dragons, Saint Motel, Local Natives
  4. Hip-hop-ish?: Matt & Kim, Beastie Boys
  5. Other...: AWOLNATION, Young the Giant, Taken By Trees, Gabrielle Aplin


I think blues rock makes up most of my library, or some sort of soul sounding rock like it.  I also really like ...folk music, indie?  I really like reminiscent 60's-70's era music.  I like when there are multiple band instruments involved.  I really like music that has a good beat, a good dancing impulse to it, and the pyramid of sound is balanced (yes, I still have the band geek in me).  Eclectic.  That's how I always put it.

The Black Keys will always and forever be my absolute favorite band, though - no matter how popular they become.

So, for those of you who come through the Grille line on Tuesday nights, you may hear some of these classy people boomin' through the stereo speakers! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love?