Saturday, April 14, 2012

Gotye? Mainstream??

This is an amazing song by Gotye (feat. Kimbra) called "Somebody That I Used to Know" - GREAT SONG!!  I found it a few months ago when I was trying to look up something by The Kills (O.o strangely enough) and I immediately thought, "this is an awesome song!!! I can't believe I've never heard this! :D"
  As most people know, I am heavily influenced by the sounds of the Underground, where the "rough 'too cool for pop culture,' don't like wimpy boys and stuck up girls, well known by the rejects" kind of music is played and cherished.  Some can say that I go "over the edge" with it, but hey, there's gotta be someone like me to fill that cultural gap.  I get so upset when I find something really amazing that I can share with a few friends who enjoy being on the outside of the pop culture scene only to find a few months later that the pop culture scene has found it, shook it up, hit it against a tree, then told their friends to do the same thing until there's really no value left in it and move to the next thing they can find; repeat.  It makes me sick.
  This song is such a great song, and this man is brilliant with his indie progressive way of listening and thinking.  He combines the great underground sounds of today and mixes them into a cool vintage/postmodern technique.  There's nothing wrong with sharing music!!  But sending it to its death by making it mainstream is, in my opinion unlawful... Strange, right?
  Anyways, I just wanted to say that I am pretty annoyed with good things like music going to the dogs.  When will the underground finally remain the underground?  Why is it so much to ask for pop culture to leave at least SOME things alone??

©2011


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love?