Monday, January 27, 2014

{Eats: Green Eggs & Quinoa}


Yesterday, I was in charge of making Sunday lunch.
I discovered a blog recently that had tons of pictures of foods she has eaten.
Most of them looked delish!!  I wanted to try some of them.
She didn't give ingredients, or a recipe, so I came up with one on my own and it turned out fantastic!
I call it... Green Eggs & Quinoa!  Or Poached Egg on the Greens!  I haven't decided yet...

Here's the ingredients I used, with approximate measurements for 2 servings:

2 cups quinoa (you can also substitute rice or couscous)
2 tbs black olives (or green olives, if you prefer)
1/2 roma tomato
1 cup spinach
2 egg (1 egg per serving)
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil (mine was flavored rosemary)
1 tbs pesto

And here is the recipe I developed:

1.    You will need three pans running at a time (or at least, that's how I did it).  In one small frying pan, cook the quinoa (pronounced keen-wa).  Typically, you would run 2-4 tbs water over the quinoa as it cooks.  After it's completely soft-cooked, you will run 2 tbs of olive oil over it, mixing it to spread the taste around.
2.    The second pot will be for the poached eggs.  I plan on putting my own poached egg instructional up here soon, but for now, you can look here!
3.    The third pan will be for veggies.  Put all of the other veggies into this frying pan and start cooking them.  I recommend adding 1-2 tbs of water to help them cook and remain their savory taste.  If you want, you can add a little vegetable oil or olive oil, to taste.
4.    Once all of these are done cooking, you can place the quinoa into the bowl first, topped with the sauteed veggies, layer on a poached egg, and smooth a tbs of pesto across the top.
5.  This recipe takes approximately 20 minutes total, and the recipe here is for 2 servings.  Serve up, preferably in bowls, and enjoy!

Quinoa is a huge source of protein and "acceptable quantities of calcium, phosphorus, and iron, [1]."  Spinach is also a good source of iron, eggs are fantastic protein agents, and tomatoes have good beta carotene - an antioxidant that helps boost your immune system and lowers your risk for cancer.  In this bowl is nothing but healthy, tasty, goodness.  What better way to thank yourself for being healthy but to chow down!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love?