Wednesday, October 16, 2013

How To Make Labels Using Microsoft Word

I learned from a very intelligent woman, whom I know only from the blogger world, how to make my own labels for my jars around the kitchen.  I want to share that skill with you!  Of course, giving her credit, and understanding that Word is open for everyone to use and discover ;)

Want to make labels that looks like these?


Or are you planning ahead for Christmas?  How about labels like these?


Here's how to do it:
1.  Go to Microsoft Word and find the "Shapes" tab option under "Insert".


Choose a shape.  I chose the shape called "Plaque".
You can change the color of your shape, the lining, etc. through the "Format" tab that will automatically appear when you draw your shape on your Word document:


2.  Go back to the "Shape" section under "Insert".  Select another shape (it can be the same shape as before, or you can switch it up.)  Draw this shape inside your first shape:


Under the "Format" tab, where you can change the color and lining of the shape, you can find the option to change the line to dashes.  I am going to change mine to dashes, but you can do whatever you would like with yours.

3. Now you can change the textures of each shape.  Under the "Format" tab, looks for the option called "Shape Fill".  Go down to the bottom where it says, "Texture".  You can do one of two things: 1) use a template texture, or 2) use your own texture downloaded from the internet.  
1):

or
2):

I chose to use my own texture from the internet; I looked up fair isle patterns - they remind me of Christmas! :)
4.  You can choose the color/texture/pattern of this shape now.  I chose something that matches my background.  However, you can do whatever you like.


6.  Now to fill in words.  Go to the "Insert" tab.  Find on the top right hand side of the page the option listed as "Add Text Box".  Click on this option, and go to the very bottom of the list where you see, "Draw Text Box".


7.  Draw your text box in the second shape to fit as desired.  Again, the format tab should appear for you text box; under the Format tab, you are able to take the lining of the box away, change the shape fill, and change the shape color.  All of this is up to you.


8.  Add your text.  A tradition my family had, aside from making cookies for Santa, were throwing seeds out into the yard for the reindeer.  I want to make cookies for the reindeer, too, this year!

A website that my husband and I found last year while we were decorating wedding invitations is DaFont.com. This website has thousands of fonts that people have made all over the place.  Most of them are free for personal use, some are free for public use, and then there are a few that you have to pay for to use.  If you can't find a good font for your labels, check out DaFont!  I downloaded the font called, "St. Nicolas" for this label.


Now all I have to do is print this off this label and stick it on the jar with the reindeer cookies!  I know about certain kinds of sticky paper that you can buy - at least I've heard of them.  I'm just going to cut my label out, probably laminate it, and use ModPodge or double-stick tape to stick it to my jar.  However, the intelligent blogger friend I have could probably tell you more about this is you visit her blog post on this tutorial: A Typical English Home.  


I hope you've found this helpful!  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask them in the comment section, I would love to help you if you need it.  Have fun making your holiday labels!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love?