Monday, February 25, 2013

Up-and-Coming Artist To Know: King Charles (not the real one)

  Something I love to do in my spare time is find new undiscovered-by-the-mainstream music.  It's not something I do to uphold some self-prophetic 'hipster' front which I don't have, but because I have always enjoyed music that only I know about.  So... often in my explorations, I come across some really cool people who deserve some sort of limelight, even if it's not the limelight.

  Recently, I discovered a creative English-man who goes by the pseudonym "King Charles."  His real name is Charles Costa and after studying sociology, he returned to London, his home, where he began to pursue music.  Since then, in short, he came to the States and landed himself a record deal!  He's a talented musician, playing the cello, piano, and the guitar.  He has toured with the likes of Laura Marling and Noah and the Whale - both great music groups!  One thing leads to another and tada!


He's definitely a strange character, but an earnest one at that.  Notice, you may recognize some of the folks in his video above; he's in good cahoots with Mumford & Sons and have actually collaborated with them in a song called "Brightest Lights" - which just happens to be one of my favorite songs right now, and the reason for the name of this blog!  They toured together in this past year.

So basically, this is a guy I recommend to get to knowing!  I have a feeling that, even in some small way, we'll be hearing more of him if we aren't already ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love?