Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Collecting: Vintage Japanese Stackable Coffee Mugs

  Over Christmas Break, I worked at my hometown's Habitat ReStore as a volunteer.  While I was there, I saw AMAZING things come through that I wish I could have bought and taken home with me!  There were a few things, however, that I was able to grab after a few days of shelf life.  I love everything I have now lying around my apartment, but what are my favorites?

These!


I love these little guys SO much!  I saw them come through, watched nervously to make sure no one bought them, and when the time was right... I went for the prowl!  And I love them!

Something about them, I noticed, when I checked the brand that's usually at the bottom is that all it says is "Japan."  Nothing else.  And it's etched in.  So I started searching around the web, hoping that I'd find some answers (I wanted more and didn't know where to get them) and discovered that they were made in the 1960's and 1970's as part of a stylish household trend.  They are 'stackable' mugs:


And they can apparently be found in mostly antique stores everywhere as well as random thrift stores.  These here, I got for $.25 each!  And other people I have been able to find on the web have said they've found theirs for similar prices.

I love these little mugs so much and I have started searching around to find more to add to my collection!  They come in all sorts of colors (blue, orange, brown, green, red, black, brown) and all different designs (flowers, patterns, sun, circles, zigzags, squares).  I will never pay a ridiculous amount for them (i.e. $3 for 2) I'd say no more than $.50 - that'll make the hunt more fun!  I'm pumped and I can't wait to find more!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some love?